Wednesday, July 30, 2014

Double Chocolate Zucchini Muffins

Summer breakfast, perfected.


I've had an abnormally large abundance of zucchini in my fridge this year. Guess how much of it I grew myself? Zero. We have lots of friends and coworkers who have been extremely successful in their zucchini gardening endeavors this year, and we've reaped the benefits!

This GIANT came from one of Hubby's coworkers. We've been whittling it down for a week now!


My hubby makes literally THE best grilled onions and zucchini, as well as some awesome zucchini crust pizza, but after a week, we needed some more zucchini inspiration. 

I found a few recipes I knew I'd want to try immediately. Here is one of them. It's simple, chocolaty, and family (including toddler) approved, but I wanted to make a few changes--namely, to omit the oil and add Greek yogurt. I also tweaked the measurements of the vanilla, salt and chocolate chips to suit my taste.

Enjoy with life!

Double Chocolate Zucchini Muffins

(Makes 21 muffins)



Ingredients:

2 eggs
1/2 c. plain Greek yogurt
1/2 c. white sugar
1/2 c. brown sugar
1 1/2 tsp. vanilla
1 1/2 c. flour
1/2 c. cocoa
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. baking powder
1/4 tsp. salt
1 1/2 c. shredded zucchini
4 oz. mini chocolate chips

Instructions:

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.

Prepare 21 muffin cups. (Flour, grease, use paper cups, whatever your preference!)

Beat the eggs, yogurt and sugars together until creamy. Add vanilla and all the dry ingredients. Beat on medium-high speed until well-incorporated. Fold in the zucchini and chocolate chips last. 

The blurred action shot of Bundle helping me stir! :) I LOVE when my kiddo helps me bake!


Spoon prepared muffin cups 3/4 full. Reduce heat to 325 degrees F and bake for 25 minutes.
 
Dust with powdered sugar if you want!

Mmmm!


We ate these for breakfast and snack time several days in a row, and I ate them as a pre-workout snack too! Although the sugar and flour isn't great for you, there is no butter, and the cocoa and chocolate chips have those precious, delicious antioxidants us mommies always need! ;)


Happy Zucchini Season!


<3

No comments:

Post a Comment