Thursday, March 5, 2015

My 30 Day Clutter Challenge Journey



With spring on our heels, I've suddenly desired to completely declutter and reorganize (and rearrange!) every single area of my home.

It all started when I stumbled across Melissa Ringstaff's blog: avirtuouswoman.org. I absolutely love her posts and subscribed right away. The post I loved most, though, was her "A Time to Clean: A 30 Day Challenge."  It was written quite a few months back, so obviously, I'm way behind, but couldn't think of a better time to go for it than now!

I want a way (if only for myself!) to document my journey. So . . . lucky blog, here it begins.


Day 1 Thoughts: Oh my word, declutter ALL THE THINGS. 



  • Rotated kids' toys
  • Went through all the kids' toys and books, sorted into keep, giveaway and recycle piles
  • Deleted hundreds of pins from my Pinterest page -- I want freedom from clutter in every part of my life, even the online part.

Day 2 Thoughts: Wow, I should slow down. The office is a disaster from yesterday! One thing at a time.



  • Switched my husband's office area with mine -- I had way more (unused!) space than I needed, and his computer and printer were out where the kids could reach them.

Day 3 Thoughts: Okay, the feng shui of this basement is horrible. Time to move furniture!



  • Reconfigured my daughter's homeschool area and all the kids' basement toys.
  • Made huge piles of recycling material


Day 4 Thoughts: Is me and hubby's bedroom really a sanctuary for our marriage? 



  • Moved all pics of our sweet daughter and niece out of our room and into other rooms where we can enjoy them.
  • Rearranged all bedroom furniture (thanks for the help, hubby!)
  • Did a major overhaul on bedroom decor. Love how candles and dried floral arrangements are romantic year-round!

Day 5 Thoughts: What am I holding onto that I don't need to be? Why?



  • Got out one box of files from my former teaching job. Went through the whole box. Some of it went into a donate box, some of it was broken or trash. Most of it ended up in the recycling. (Not even the most frugal, resourceful teachers want poorly-copied, outdated blackline masters.)


Day 6 Thoughts: I'm discovering that even if I do go back to teaching in a public school someday, I really don't need this stuff now, and five years from now, it won't be relevant in the classroom at all. Okay, I can do this! Four more boxes from my old classroom to conquer.



  • Went through the other four boxes of teaching material. Kept about one quarter of it. Donated or recycled the other three quarters.  Such a great feeling!

Day 7 Thoughts: Freedom! 



  • Just donated a huge portion of my findings from the week to our local "freecycle" center.
  • Also recycled all the recyclable materials from our house and previously mentioned file boxes.
  • Made plans to go through our linen closet this weekend.
  • Went for a celebratory coffee and whipped cream (for Bundle) at the local coffeeshop!

This is where I currently am. I've only been doing this about a week, but it's already made a major difference in my stress levels, our home organization, and family life. I am feeling accomplished and excited about where the rest of this decluttering journey will take us!


<3

No comments:

Post a Comment