Saturday, August 4, 2012

Gluten Free Double Berry Cobbler



Who knew that the best recipes could come from the back of baking mix boxes?? My husband and I recently decided to make cobbler with some frozen blackberries picked from an orchard near St. Joseph, MO. After a friend suggested using baking mix for cobbler recipes we decided to give it a shot. Awesomely enough, there was this perfect blueberry muffin recipe on the back of the baking mix box! Some might cringe at the thought of using a muffin recipe for cobbler, but I'm always one for experimenting. It turned out great! :)

I did tweak (as usual) a few things. The recipe on the box called for buttermilk. I used regular milk, and it worked just fine. I also made my own crumb topping rather than using the box's. It called for a lot of butter, and I love simple, crunchy crumb toppings rather than overly-gooey ones. And, of course, instead of using blueberries I used strawberries and blackberries. Delicious!

We're having a few friends over for dinner tomorrow, and I figured this would be the perfect crowd-pleasing, comfort-food dessert. I can't wait to dig in--it's been hard enough refraining since it came out of the oven!


 Ingredients:

1 3/4 c. Gluten Free Baking Mix
1/4 tsp. salt
1 tsp. baking soda
2 tsp. baking powder
1 c. milk
3/4 c. sugar
1 stick margarine or butter
2 eggs
1 1/2 c. chopped frozen berries (I used blackberries and strawberries)

Crumb Topping

3/4 c. packed brown sugar
1/4 c. oats
1 generous tsp. ground cinnamon


To start off, preheat the oven to 350 and melt your margarine. Whisk in the eggs, sugar and milk and mix well.

Add the dry ingredients and whisk again until just combined.




Grease a 9 X 13 in. cake pan.


Pour batter into the cake pan.


Combine all the crumb topping ingredients and set aside.


Sprinkle the berries on top of the prepared batter...


...and the crumb topping on top of that!


Bake for 25-30 minutes or until the top is golden and a knife inserted into the center of the cobbler comes out clean.

Can't wait to eat it tomorrow! :)

Enjoy with life. <3

No comments:

Post a Comment