Monday, April 27, 2015

Today's {Rainy} Reading Stack . . .







I cannot get enough of this spring rain. I love rainy weather, and this morning's showers eased me into the work week with open windows and the sweet accompaniment of fresh-brewed Folgers (no shame).



What better weather to read in? (Okay, I probably say that about gorgeous sunny days and frozen, snowy days too...)

Here are some of my favorite rainy day re-reads, with a few favorite quotes.


An Irish Country Doctor by Patrick Taylor

This was a fun read; a novel filled with outrageous characters and beautiful descriptions of the Irish countryside.


"Never mind sailors taking warning; anyone caught out in the summer gale that had blown up in the early hours would be getting drenched. Barry listened to the rain clattering off the surgery's bow windows. He glanced at his watch. Even at almost noon the lights were still needed in the room."


Coastliners by Joanne Harris

I've probably already had this book on one of my reading stack posts, but I love it just the same. It's poignant, in a way where you cannot become unattached from the characters who have lost a lot, but continue to hope.


"I stayed watching for a few more minutes. It was warm in spite of the wind; a final breath of summer, and as the clouds dispersed above me, I could see the broad field of the Milky Way across the sky. Feeling suddenly very calm, I waited, under a sky wild and enormous with stars, for the tide to turn."


Miracle in the Rain by Ben Hecht

Rain in the title? Hopefully I've already sold you. This beautiful novelette is inspirational writing at its best. It's an old, old book, and I love it to pieces.



"'Look at her go,' he said, his eyes admiringly on the bubbling pavement. 'Like a pack of horses coming down the homestretch. You know, a night like this makes this town look almost human.' He laughed and went on talking. 'There's nothing so good as a real rain,' he said, 'unless it's a blizzard. Listen to her." He pointed happily at the thought. 'Like firecrackers.' His voice grew thoughtful. 'I'd be out walking in it right now if I had any place to go. Maybe that's the best time to walk in the rain--when you got nowheres to go.' "




Happy reading. <3

1 comment: