Monday, May 18, 2015

My Gluten Free Journey



I recently was unpleasantly reminded that my body has gluten sensitivity.

No, I'm not a Celiac. And no, I do not have the money to be tested. Celiac's Disease is a very serious condition in which gluten  ingestion or contact could kill a person. Gluten is a protein found in wheat, barely, and rye, and any products containing them. While I don't want to make light of my own condition or anyone else's gluten intolerance/sensitivity, I also don't want readers to be confused.





So . . .



What I have is gluten sensitivity. I discovered this three years ago by consulting a couple different medical professionals and slowly eliminating food groups.

If and when I am not careful about how much gluten I am eating, it can build up in my body and when I have too much of it, my body pretty much refuses to digest it. This is not fun. I really don't enjoy miserably laying on the couch all afternoon and evening because I ate poorly all week and ended it with a half a waffle.



Here is my story of how and why I became gluten free.



During the months leading up to my pregnancy, I had a high intolerance to gluten. I cut it completely from my diet, and felt a million times better (and not to mention, got pregnant!). Of course, I'm not claiming that eliminating gluten from your diet will help you get pregnant if you're trying, or that it is even the right choice for everyone. For many it's not! But for me, it is. And I learned (again) yesterday evening that it's not worth it for me to throw caution to the wind when it comes to ingesting gluten.


When we can, our family eats clean (fresh, whole fruits and veggies and whole grains, and organic dairy/meat products). Lately, money has been tight and schedules have been insane, so my go-to snack/meal is usually a sandwich or cereal.



Not a problem for most people.

Especially if you fill the sandwich with good fruits/veggies or if you are using a whole grain, sugar-free cereal. But unfortunately, my body doesn't tolerate that kind of eating very well for very long.

I began (for the second time in my life) a daily food log and am carefully cutting gluten from my diet (again). This is kind of a "face-palm" moment for me. Of course I cannot survive on sandwiches and cereal for a week -- my body is extremely sensitive to gluten!



I imagine that, like before, I will occasionally be able to filter gluten slowly back into my diet again . . . in tiny doses. Like a graham cracker crust on a piece of cheesecake or the occasional Saltine cracker. As aforementioned, I'm not a Celiac, and I don't pretend to be. Cutting gluten from my diet is a concrete way for me to take control of my health and body and put better things into it and as a result, be a 

happier, 

healthier 


person. 




If you have any questions about being gluten free, gluten sensitivity or gluten intolerance, please comment! But also check out these awesome informational websites that promote and support gluten free lifestyles:

Gluten-Free Lifestyle

http://www.glutenfreeliving.com/gluten-free-lifestyle/

http://celiac.org/live-gluten-free/gluten-free-lifestyle/

http://www.celiaccentral.org/Gluten-Free-Food/the-gluten-free-diet/



**Disclaimer** My knowledge in the gluten free world is purely personal and in no way is meant to reflect or be taken as medical advice. If you think you are allergic or intolerant or sensitive to any food, please consult your medical professional.

No comments:

Post a Comment