Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Summer Baking and Berries



So recently I discovered that the Cake Boss show is on Netflix...! Needless to say I have been watching show after show drooling over Buddy Valastro's confectionary creations. Last night my husband noted, "I see the physical pain in your eyes knowing you 'can't' have cake anymore. Why don't we just bake our own cake?"

Genius!

We set out right away to bake up a gluten-free, double-layer chocolate cake with chocolate frosting and strawberries.

I used a treasured recipe from a family friend, so I won't be posting the cake's recipe. The frosting, however, was the simplest thing of my life: 1 can of chocolate frosting and 1/2 a tub of Cool Whip. Delicious! Here are some photos of the process.




Doesn't that batter look fantastic? We only snuck a few tastes off the spatula...


In the oven! While they were baking...we whipped up the frosting! As previously mentioned, it was simply a can of chocolate frosting and 1/2 a tub of Cool Whip blended together. We covered the entire cake easily with it (as well as between the layers), and had no leftovers.



Yum!


The cakes cooled and we prepped the decorating area, pretending to use cake lingo from the Cake Boss.


And the decorating begins!




Props to my husband for the gorgeous frosting rope, smooth sides, and pretty strawberry flower!


So much fun!! And seriously, so delicious. It was fantastic eating cake again! I'm so thankful to the sweet lady who helped me make my own cup-for-cup flour.


On another summery note, berries are awesomely cheap at Aldi. There will be much enjoyment of berries to come.


Enjoy with life.

No comments:

Post a Comment